1. MULTICHOICE, Quizzical Pictures (Pty) Ltd, Lucky Bean Media, and their staff, directors and affiliated companies are the “Producers” of the “MasterChef ” televised reality contest which is subject to these terms and conditions.
2. To participate, you must be 18 years of age or more on the date of the audition of entry and a South African citizen. You will be required to provide a valid identity document. MasterChef is not open to the employees of the Producers and the respective advertising, media and PR Agencies, or the family members, consultants, directors, associates and trading partners of such organizations and persons.
3. You must not have a criminal record.
4. You must not have cooked in a professional restaurant, catering company or food establishment of public significance to date.
5. You may not currently or in the past have attended a professional cooking school.
6. a) You will audition for a panel of judges whose decision as to whether or not you can proceed to the next round of auditions is final. No review requests and no deliberations may be entered into regarding judges decisions. b) Contestants will prepare and provide their own food dishes and ingredients at the audition venue. c) Contestants can audition in their own preferred language. (Official South African languages only)
7. YOU CONSENT TO THE PRODUCERS MAKING A FIXATION OF YOUR APPEARANCE AND PERFORMANCE IN THE MASS AUDITIONS (“PERFORMANCES”), AS WELL AS ANY OTHER IMAGES AND/OR SOUNDS FEATURING YOU, IN ANY MEDIA (FOR EXAMPLE, TELEVISION, FILM, PHOTOGRAPH, VIDEO TAPE, ETC) IN WHICH THE PERFORMANCES HAVE BEEN WHOLLY OR PARTLY RECORDED OR CAPTURED, INCLUDING ANY REPRODUCTION OR ADAPTATION THEREOF, AND THE BROADCAST THEREOF, AS SUCH TERMS ARE UNDERSTOOD IN TERMS OF THE PERFORMERS’ PROTECTION ACT 11 OF 1967 (AS AMENDED FROM TIME TO TIME), FOR THE PURPOSES OF MASTER CHEF, THE PROMOTION THEREOF AND THE PROMOTION OF MASTERCHEF FOR THE PERIOD OF 18 MONTHS FROM THE COMMENCEMENT OF THE AUDITION PROCESS OF THE SHOW.
8. YOU AGREE THAT THE PRODUCERS SHALL HAVE THE SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE, EXPLOIT, PUBLISH, REPRODUCE, PERFORM OR OTHERWISE DEAL WITH ALL MATERIAL FEATURING THE PERFORMANCES FOR OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE MARKETING, PROMOTION, DISTRIBUTION, PRODUCTION AND SALES OF MASTER CHEF, IN PERPETUITY AND THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.
9. You waive any moral rights that you may have to the Performances and any broadcasts thereof.
10. The Producers are under no obligation to use or broadcast the whole or any part of your Performances in MasterChef.
11. The Producers may alter, adapt, make additions to or otherwise edit the Performances at their discretion.
12. You will not be entitled to any payment or involvement whatsoever in respect of your participation or your Performances or the broadcast thereof or the exploitation thereof.
13. To the extent necessary, you hereby assign, transfer and make over all your right, title and interest in and to the Performances to the Producers, free of charge.
14. MasterChef runs from January 2013 to 31st March 2013 and you must be available over that entire period.
15. You will be required to appear at public venues and participate in activation events as decided by the Producers.
16. Your behaviour has to be impeccable at all times at any stage of Master Chef. Any bad behaviour will be deemed grounds for your disqualification.
17. a) Auditions will commence at 09:00 and continue until the limited number of contestants have done their auditions, on a first-come-first-served basis. At Durban and Cape Town a maximum of 1500 people will be allowed to audition per city. At Johannesburg a maximum of 3000 people will be allowed to audition. b) Participants from cities outside the audition cities will bear costs of travel and accommodation. Multichoice, CP, LBM and all MasterChef associates will not be liable for any travel and accommodation costs incurred by participants
18. a) You must be prepared to relocate, should you go through to the next round, for a period of 17 weeks from 1 December 2012 to 31st March 2013, where you will be required to live in the accommodation provided for you by the Producers. b) No food will be offered for free at any of the venues.
19. a)You may not be given any free time or leave to be absent from such accommodation during this period. Should you not comply with these requirements, the Producers shall be entitled to disqualify you. b) Transport costs for the selected contestants will be borne by the 'producers'.
20. You may elect to withdraw from MasterChef at any time. Such withdrawal will lead to your immediate disqualification. You will not be allowed back onto the series.
21. YOU ABSOLVE THE PRODUCERS AND THEIR AGENTS, REPRESENTATIVES AS WELL AS ANY PERFORMERS OR INDEPENDENT CONTRACTORS APPOINTED BY THE PRODUCERS, FROM AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL DEMANDS AND CLAIMS OF EVERY NATURE AND KIND ARISING FROM THE PERFORMANCES AND WAIVE ANY CLAIMS WHICH YOU MIGHT HAVE, OF WHATEVER NATURE, AGAINST THE PRODUCERS AND/OR THEIR AGENTS, ARISING FROM YOUR PARTICIPATION IN MASTER CHEF.
22. NONE OF THE PRODUCERS NOR THEIR RESPECTIVE ADVERTISING, PROMOTION, MEDIA AND PR AGENCIES, SHALL BE LIABLE TO YOU IN ANY WAY WHATSOEVER FOR ANY LOSS, EXPENSE, DAMAGE, COSTS OR INJURY SUSTAINED BY YOU DURING OR IN CONNECTION WITH ANY PERFORMANCE OR IN RELATION TO MASTERCHEF OR THE PRIZES OFFERED. IN ADDITION, UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHALL THE PRODUCERS BE LIABLE TO ANYONE WHO PARTICIPATES IN MASTERCHEF FOR ANY INDIRECT OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSS HOWSOEVER ARISING WHICH MAY BE SUFFERED IN RELATION TO MASTER CHEF, WHETHER AS A RESULT OF ANY NEGLIGENT ACT OR OMISSION OR ANY DEFAULT ON THE PART OF THE PRODUCERS OR OTHERWISE.
23. You warrant that you have the capacity to agree to these terms and conditions and further that you are at complete liberty to participate in MasterChef and to comply with these terms and conditions and that doing so will not infringe upon the rights of any other person. You further warrant that the information you have provided to the Producers is true and accurate. The Producers may disqualify you should you breach the aforesaid warranties.
24. By participating in MasterChef you accept and agree to abide by these rules, terms and conditions set out herein and such rules and conditions that the Producers may issue in relation to the Audition Phase and further phases of MasterChef from time to time.
25. These terms and conditions are governed by South African law and the South African courts shall have sole and exclusive jurisdiction in respect of all matters (including disputes) arising herefrom.